20090329

☆ 019 ; to-do list

First of all, I wanted to post the revisions I made to the design for the study abroad website. I expect to be moving into iWeb this week. I've never used it before, and I had planned on using Dreamweaver, but Patrick and Gwen told me iWeb is so much easier, and the website really isn't anything too complicated, so it'll work. Whatever makes my life easier.



I think it still needs work, especially with the kerning of the letters of the country names, but these are details that will be fixed and refined throughout the process of setting it up.

-----

Secondly, I have an update on my research project. I did approximately 1,000,000 matrices only to figure out I needed five, as pictured below.



There would be one matrix for each architect [LeCorbusier, Mies van der Rohe, Wright, Gropius, and Loewenstein]. Earlier I had described four types of matrices that were necessary for my analysis, but the information they produced is auxiliary and can fit into the above matrix. Main points will be highlighted within a short blurb following the matrix, as well, somewhere between 100 and 200 words. And, of course, since I'm interested in exposing the design language of Modernism, I would use my phrase to dissect the information.

lingua franca


What pushes the matrix idea further, though, can be explained by the following image:



After creating five individual matrices for the architects, I would then, in a sense, stack them. The information that I would pull from this exercise would describe the design cycle in terms of the design language; it's about finding a standard language and the dialects that are mutually intelligible yet also different from that standard. I think it takes the design cycle from looking like the image on the top half of the below scan to looking like the image below it.



Hmmmm... recalls an image I posted earlier on...



Now, the output for this project is also going to be a website. I propose an outline of five steps that would fully represent the project:

describe project lay down the foundation for understanding, including any terms and basic ideas
describe standard expound upon why the standard is, in fact, the standard
describe architects draw up matrices and make conclusions regarding findings; this part is about the dialects
describe cycle layer matrices and make conclusions regarding findings
describe application synthesize and summarize


That about covers it for now. Check back later this week for preliminary designs for this website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home